Robert Spooner was born in Roswell, New Mexico in 1956. Formerly a graphic designer, he changed careers five years ago to pursue fine art. He currently lives in Denver, Colorado with his life partner, Susan and their three cats.
Robert enjoys capturing “other people’s passions” on canvas. One recent series of paintings he completed is of culinary students pursuing their art. In the last two years, he has shifted his focus from still life and landscapes to studies that include the human figure. Ballet dancers passionately embracing in a pas de deux, the quiet figure lingering over a cup of coffee, these are the stories and emotions he finds intriguing and attempts to convey on canvas.
He prefers warmer tones to cool ones, older brushes to new. He paints with the side of his brush as well as the tip, and the dimensions of his canvas are determined by the story needing to be told. Robert works from large shapes in a scene to the small, all the time keeping his values in check. Arriving at the focal point, which in many cases may be a face, he slows down to spend more time on what he considers to be the heart of the painting or story.
In addition to painting, Robert also teaches. He finds that taking the time to verbalize what he does unconsciously on canvas helps him to define the outcome of his work.
Abend Gallery – Denver, Colorado. www.abendgallery.com - 800-288-3726 / 303-355-0950
Artist Shows / History
- April 2012 - Scottsdale Salon, Legacy Gallery, Scottsdale Arizona
- April 2012 - Salon International 2012 Greenhouse Gallery, San Antonio Texas
- Nov 2011 - American Impressionist Society Show, Carmel California
- May 2011 - OPA National Show, Devin Galleries, Coeur d"Alene Idaho
- May 2011 - Scottsdale Salon, Legacy Gallery, Scottsdale AZ
- April 2011 - One Man Show, Watts Gallery of Fine Art, Zionsville Indiana
- April 2011 - Salon International 2011 Greenhouse Gallery, San Antonio Texas
- April 2010 - OPA National Show, Legacy Gallery, Scottsdale AZ
- April 2010 - Salon International 2010 Greenhouse Gallery, San Antonio Texas
- Sept 2010 - OPA Western Show Gold Medal Winner, "Yellow Roses" Jackson Hole WY
- Sept 2010 - American Impressionist Society Show, Nashville, TN
- Feb 2010 - Invitational Show Saks Gallery, Denver Colorado
- June 2009 - Governor's Show Invitational, Loveland, CO.
- August 2009 - Two Person Show- Abend Gallery, Denver, Colorado
- March 2008 — Invitational Show Wendt Gallery, Laguna Beach California
- Nov. 2007 — 1st Place Raymar National Fine Art Show for “Griddle Cook”
- Jan. 2007 — Richeson75 Juried still life show. Kimberly, WI
- June 2006-7 — Governor's Show Invitational, Loveland, CO.
- May 2006 — Oil Painters of America National show, Missoula, Montana
- April 2006 — Four Man Show, Abend Gallery Denver, Co
- April 2006 — 2006 Governor's Invitational Art Show, Loveland Colorado
- October 2005 — 2005 Central Regional OPA Show Snowfire Gallery, Estes Park Colorado
Award of Excellence for "Blacksmith"
- July 2005 — One Man show Blaire Carnihan Gallery, Santa Fe New Mexico
- June 2005 — 2005 Governor's Invitational Art Show, Loveland Colorado
- May 2004 — 2004 Salon International, San Antonio, Texas.
- March 2004 — 2004 Salon Invitational, Anne Irwin Gallery, Atlanta GA.
- July 12 — Aug 24, 2003 - Colorado Art Open, Foothills Art Center
- May 3, 2003 — 2003 Salon International, San Antonio, Texas - “Chefs’ Cuisine”
Juried-Honorable Mention Award
- Mar. 20 - Mar 28, 2001 — Colorado Art Open, Foothills Art Center – Juried
- April 19, 2001 — Colorado Boys Ranch Art Show – Featured Artist
- July 12 – Aug 24, 2003 – Colorado Art Open, Foothills Art Center – “String Serenade” Juried
- May 3, 2003 – 2003 Salon International, San Antonio, Texas - “Chefs’ Cuisine” Juried-Honorable Mention Award
- February 10, 2002 – Represented by Rich Designs Gallery, Colorado Springs CO.
- Dec. 8, 2001/2 - Holiday Show, Abend Gallery, Denver CO.
- April 19, 2001 – Colorado Boys Ranch Art Show – Featured Artist
- Mar. 20 – Mar 28, 2001 – Colorado Art Open, Foothills Art Center – Juried